What are your hours of operation?

The Civil Process Office is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

What is your address?

The Civil Process Office is located at 1255 Hancock Street, Quincy, MA 02169

What is the difference between a deputy sheriff and a constable?

A deputy sheriff is appointed by the sheriff and is empowered to serve any and all civil process within their county. A constable is appointed by a municipality and may only serve process in towns where they are sworn and have posted a bond. Constables may not serve process in which the damages claimed exceed $7000.

What are the fees for Service of Process?

The fees for both constables and deputy sheriffs are set by statute and vary from case to case. For the vast majority of services the fee will not exceed $65.00 and is often less than that amount.

District Court and Probate Court Issued Services (Except Capias, Levy, Writs of Attachment and Execution)

In State Court-Issued Documents: $65.00 ($36.00 for each additional defendant at same address)
Out of State Court-Issued Documents: $100.00 per defendant

Please contact our office to discuss enforcing Capias, Executions (Levy, Demands, Evictions), and Attachments. Each of these services may require an advanced payment and specific instruction.

What forms of payment do you accept?

You may use your VISA, Master Card, check, PayPal, or money order. Attorney clients may be invoiced at the completion of the service.

What towns does the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office serve?

The Norfolk Sheriff Office can serve all process on individuals or business located in the following cities and towns ;Avon, Bellingham, Braintree, Brookline, Canton, Cohasset, Dedham, Dover, Foxborough, Franklin, Holbrook, Medfield, Medway, Millis. Milton, Needham, Norfolk, Norwood, Plainville, Quincy, Randolph , Sharon, Stoughton, Walpole, Wellesley, Westwood, Weymouth, & Wrentham.

If your city or town is not on this list please click (Link to Civil Office info sheet) for a list of towns and sheriff’s office by county.

I have paperwork regarding a criminal matter that needs to be served. Can the Civil Process Office serve it?

The Norfolk County Civil Process Office serves paperwork in civil actions and your local police department would be able to point you in the correct direction for criminal services.

Can the Norfolk County Civil Process Office serve paperwork outside Norfolk County?

Norfolk County Deputy Sheriffs can serve the towns and city within Norfolk County only. We would be happy to put you in contact with the Deputy Sheriff's Office that can serve your legal service. Consult this list to determine whether your city or town is located in Norfolk County. If your city or town is not located in Norfolk County, you can find the Sheriff's Offices and Civil Process Offices in each county at this link.

How do I serve an execution on money judgement?

The Norfolk Sheriff’s Office has a number of resources to assist attorney and pro se clients with collection efforts on executions on money judgment. We encourage individuals with executions on money judgments to visit (link to Executions on Money Judgment Civil Site) for more details or to contact our office to discuss options. The Norfolk Sheriff’s Office offers free asset searches and skip tracing services for attorneys and plaintiffs to help locating individuals as well as assets which may potentially be seized to satisfy a judgment.

How do I serve a capias?

The Norfolk Sheriff Offices can serve capias warrants on individuals residing in Norfolk County. The Norfolk County Civil Process Office performs Capias services by first attempting to arrange a voluntary court date with the defendant before physically arresting the defendant. The Deputy Sheriff gives the defendant three (3) opportunities to appear in court on their own. The physical arrest is the last resort as it is more costly and takes longer to effectuate. We have a high rate of success in convincing a judgment debtor come into court voluntarily to resolve the matter. Due to the unique nature of each capias we encourage plaintiffs to contact our office to discuss their options and the costs of service.

How do I evict my tenant?

The Norfolk Sheriff Office can assist you with all summary process related services for properties located within Norfolk County including the service of a 14 or 30 day notice, summary process summons, and execution for possession. For more information on evicting a tenant, the eviction process, and the fees and documents required please visit Evictions